Saturday, June 5, 2010

Granola, because I forgot to buy cereal


Last night I had a dream that I was an Ecstasy dealer. In my dream I had an epiphany that selling drugs was wrong so the whole dream was really about me flushing little pink pills down the toilet. Plus, all my 'drugs' were in these little, hard to open zip-lock baggies. Of course since it was a dream, someone had to be coming to get me if I didn't open the baggies and flush faster and faster...

When I woke up I realized that the pills I had been flushing were actually my dog's thyroid medications. I checked the cupboard this morning to be sure that they were all still there. They were.

So since I almost destroyed my dog's life-saving medications with my unconscious neuroses, I decided to do something especially cleansing and healthy for us all today (plus I forgot to buy cereal).

I smudged my house and made granola. Enough with the California jokes.

I told the husband "I'm about to do something and you're not going to like it." Then I walked around the whole house with my smoldering sage. He didn't seem to even notice.



Then I set to baking. Here's my nod to Ree Drummond...



Fruity Pecan Granola
3 Cups Oats
1 1/2 Cups Raw Pecans
1 Cup of diced dried fruit (apricots and strawberries are good)
1 T Flax Seeds (ground or whole)
1 T Sesame Seeds
1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
1/4-1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Veg Oil
1/2 t of Salt
dash of cinnamon

Toast and chop pecans



Mix together with oats, flax seeds, and sesame seeds



Mix together syrup, sugar, oil, salt and cinnamon.



Combine dry and wet and spread out on sheet pans. Use two if you need to, just be sure that the mixture is not too thick.




Put in a 250 degree oven and stir the mixture about every 15 min for an hour. It's worth it. While the granola is baking take your fruit and dice up tiny. I used apricot and strawberries but you can use whatever. Candied ginger would have been really good.




After an hour or so, when you feel like the moisture is gone from the granola, pull it out and toss in your fruit. That sounded really dirty.



The finished product is great all week long. Store it in an airtight container and be sure it's completely cool before you seal it up.



Feeling better already.

No comments:

Post a Comment