Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My Father's Workshop

There is something so special about my father's basement-workshop in North Carolina. It's a strictly utilitarian space but strangely beautiful at the same time. His tools have been used for as long as I can remember and longer. Some of them are from the 50's and still work 'just fine.' He's used them to tighten every loose screw, help build many a tree fort and remodel just about every house we've ever lived in. He also used these tools to build a hundred bookcases for my family's old Santa Barbara bookshop, The Earthling. It's sort of like a painter's palate but for the ultimate handy-Dad.



This is the original bookshop sign from 1974.


Paint pans.

Sears and Roebuck tape measure.
This is my childhood bed frame. They are keeping it for my own child... one day.
And these. I won't let my parents give them away. Nostalgia is often not a bad thing.

1 comment: